The Guild and its Mission
The War Widows’ Guild of Australia, originally established in 1946, is a not for profit, membership-based organisation whose mission is to promote and protect the interests of war widows. The Guild became a public company limited by guarantee in 1998. It is a public benevolent institution with deductible gift recipient status.
Nationally the Guild provides a range of services to war widows, and operates with significant volunteer input from its thousand’s members. However, because of the size and complexity of running the organisation, it has a small staff to manage the day to day operations.
The Motto was adopted by the National Guild in 1949 at its third annual conference to set the mood, the tone, the harmony, the working-together of not only the conference but the Guild in the years to come.
‘We all belong to each other. We all need each other. It is in serving each other and in sacrificing for our common good that we are finding our true life.’