The project has been running since late 2001 as Community Webs and provides community organisations, which may have neither the skills nor resources, with a web presence or other communication product by matching them with students who have the necessary skills and access to resources. Students communicate with community group members primarily through email to create a web site or other communication product for the group. Web sites can then be given to the group to host elsewhere or hosted on www.communitywebs.org
In 2006 the project expanded to become Sustainable Online Community Engagement and include a wider range of activities and products, such as television production and other multimedia projects. An important aim in this is that community groups develop the skills to maintain and update their new product.
Examples of projects
- developing web sites
- events management
- developing online and print promotional materials such as brochures
- editing guides, manuals and texts of any genre
- developing communication strategies for an organisation
- producing educational, promotional or community service videos, (authored on DVD) for internal use and external broadcast
- journalistic coverage of events or other items requested by a community group.
The students have a range of skills in Public Relations, Film and Video, Multimedia, Journalism, Creative Writing, Publishing and Computing.
For further information please contact us