Current Events - 2016 - 2017 Events - Newsletters
Waite Arboretum App
SUNDAY 22 JANUARY 2017: FILM FUNDRAISING EVENT - A United Kingdom
3pm for refreshments & raffle, Wurlitzer Organ at 3.45pm
For enquiries and tickets please contact: Marilyn on 8271 6112, email - email@example.com
MONDAY 10 APRIL 2017 at 7.30pm : FRIENDS OF THE WAITE ARBORETUM INC. AGM Urrbrae House Drawing Room, Waite Campus. The AGM will be followed by a talk by the Acting Curator of the Waite Arboretum Dr Kate Delaporte - Gumnuts Revisited; a continuing and consuming passion. Light refreshment will be served after the presentation.SATURDAY 6 MAY 2017: World Labyrinth Day - Saturday 6 May 2017 "Come and walk the Waite Arboretum Labyrinth on World Labyrinth Day Saturday 6th May 2017 then explore the Arboretum with the Waite Arboretum app".
THURSDAY 27 JULY 2017 at 4pm: Afternoon Tea with the Dean of Agriculture, Food and Wine in the Drawing Room of Urrbrae House. The Committee of the Friends of the Waite Arboretum Inc. will give members an opportunity to here from Dr. Mike Keller, Dean and Stuart Matthews, School Manager. This is a chance to catch up with plans and events affecting the Waite Precinct. Please RSVP by 5pm 23 July 2017 to allow for catering.
All enquiries and RSVP to Beth Johnstone (08) 8357 1679 Email:firstname.lastname@example.org.
THURSDAY 27 SEPTEMBER 2017 at 9.30am: A visit to the Laidlaw Planation at Urrbrae.
Dr Kate Delaporte was awarded a PhD for her thesis entitled 'Eucalyptus for Ornamental Horticulture' in 2000. She travelled to Europe and California on a Churchill Fellowship to investigate the use of Australian plants in regions with a Mediterranean climate.
Kate's main interest is improving Australian native plants for horticulture by research into propagation, cultivation, breeding and selecting new varieties and species. Several members who attended the Annual General Meeting asked to see Kate's Laidlaw Plantation at Urrbrae.
Any members who would like to visit can meet at the steps of Urrbrae House and be escorted to the site, where she will recount the story of the area. (if the weather is difficult, there is shelter under the porch).
The visit will require some walking and will take two hours. Morning tea will then be available in the Volunteer's room at no cost
All enquiries and to Beth Johnstone (08) 8357 1679 Email:email@example.com.
- JAN - DEC 2016: FREE GUIDED WAITE ARBORETUM WALKS on the 1st Sunday of each month at 11am starting from Urrbrae House
- JAN - DEC 2016: Tuesday morning volunteering, 9.15am - 1pm, meet at the volunteers room behind Urrbrae House
- 14 FEBRUARY 2016: URRBRAE HOUSE FRINGE FESTIVAL EXHIBITION "ASSEMBLAGE" Opening
- 20 FEBRUARY 2016: Waite Arboretum Native Bee Hotel story in program SCOPE on Channel Ten
- MONDAY 11 APRIL 2016: Friends of Waite Arboretum Inc. 21st AGM at 7.30pm in Urrbrae House, Guest Speaker Viesturs Cielens
- " Viesturs Cielens is a designer, gardener and landscape planner whose work in South Australia now spans some 40 years. His work practice specialises in small intimate projects, school-play environs and community projects. These often with collaborating artists, which extend into regional communities redefining themselves over a longer period of time through a synthesis of art, narrative and the landscape – a place making process which embodies a strong sense of identity within the genius lociof each community”. (http://www.landscapeconference.com/speakers/viesturs-cielens/, 9 March 2016)
- THURSDAY 21 April 2016 Festival of Mud: City of Unley School Holiday Program April 2016
- Friends of the Waite Arboretum members will be assisting Jennifer Curator with a Waite Arboretum stall at the Festival of Mud, at Ridge Park, Barr Smith Avenue, Myrtle Bank on Thursday 21 April 2016 10am - 3pm
- THURSDAY 5 May 2016: A function is being planned to celebrate and honour Dr Jennifer Gardner's thirty years as Curator of the Waite Arboretum and for her contribution and commitment to the Waite Arboretum, The University of Adelaide and the wider community.
- 7 MAY 2016: World Labyrinth Day - Saturday 7 May 2016 "Come and walk the Waite Arboretum Labyrinth on World Labyrinth Day Saturday 7nd May 2016 then explore the Arboretum with the Waite Arboretum app".
SUNDAY 29 MAY 2016: Botanic Garden Australia and New Zealand Open Day at the Waite Arboretum. "Free guided walks will be held at 11 am, 1 pm and 3 pm and last 1.5 hours".
- Listen to Botanic Garden Australia and New Zealand Ambassador Costa Georgiadis on -
- "Nestled in the foothills, the University of Adelaide’s Waite Arboretum is open daily dawn till dusk. Come and explore the 30 hectare rain-fed collection of trees from around the world. Free guided walks will be held at 11 am, 1 pm and 3 pm and last 1.5 hours, meeting in front of historic Urrbrae House. Sturdy footwear is advised. Other features include a labyrinth, sculptures, native bee hotel and thematic artist’s gardens. Download the free Waite Arboretum app to select a free self-guided walk and learn about the birds and other wildlife in the Arboretum (Jennifer Gardner, 2016)"
- THURSDAY - FRIDAY 1 - 2 September 2016: TREENET, 17th National Street Tree Symposium
- THURSDAY 2 JUNE 2016: Concert by Alex Tsiboulski, at 5.30pm in Urrbrae House
- WINTER FILM AFTERNOON: Details to be announced
- TUESDAY 9 AUGUST 2016 at 2.30pm: Plant Hunting & Other Diversions talk by Eileen Harvey. $10 entry includes afternoon tea.
- SEPTEMBER 2016: Volunteers Concert in Urrbrae House
- MONDAY 5 DECEMBER 2016: 5.30pm - 7pm End of Year / Christmas Celebration Function in Urrbrae House
- OTHER 2016 EVENTS: may include twilight concerts, movie afternoon fundraiser, Volunteer Recognition Event, Treenet Symposium participation, special events, Arboretum picnic
Friends of the Waite Arboretum current and past Newsletters:
> Number 78, Summer 2014 (pdf link)