The Blackwood Lions Club was chartered 46 years ago in August 1965. The people who started the Club did so because they wanted to help those in need and to be part of the spirit of the Lions motto. "We Serve" - the definition and the purpose of Lions Clubs. A great responsibility as a member, then, is to keep faith with the spirit, the accomplishments and the leadership of those who founded and those who built the club over those 46 years.
Each Lions Club, as an individual unit, pursues its own active programme of activities aimed at giving service in many ways to the people of its local community.
Some of the projects undertaken by the Lions Club of Blackwood include: - Help for "The Riding For Disabled" in Blackwood - the children with disabilities learn to relate and ride horses.
Other projects include:
- Minton Farm, a sanctuary for injured native birds and other animals.
- Assistance with the Lions Hearing Dogs training centre at Hahndorf and sponsoring of hearing dog to a local lady.
- Wittunga Music Nights.
- Camp Quality party (kids with cancer).
- Sale of Lions Christmas cakes and Lions Mints.
- Sponsorship of youths to camps and overseas exchange.
- Save sight and sight first.
- Christmas hampers to needy.
- Drug awareness training seminars for teachers.
- Help to earthquake victims in Haiti and Chile.
- Personal emergency alarm systems.
- Health projects.
- Annual Blackwood Christmas Pageant
- Lions Park.
- Apex Park shelter with BBQ (under construction)
A full list of last year's donations worth $135,567 is displayed under Activities.
After the East Timor crisis, a mission clinic in the mountains was in desperate need of water in storage form, the Blackwood Lions arranged for three water tanks to be manufactured in Darwin and transported to East Timor and installed at the clinic thus providing work for the local population and clean water for the clinic.
This year's handover dinner: