This building was built using stone quarried locally by a Mr Daw a pioneer in the area in approximately 1854 and was originally used as a residence. Charles Rumps reportedly came from Kapunda in 1867, leased the building from Mr Daw and converted it into a bakery to ply his trade.
He employed Ernst Friedrich Heitmann initially as his assistant and later his manager from 1884-1889. Then in 1893 Heitmann purchased the business from Charles Rumps.
The building was eventually sold to Mr Richard Ellis who used it to store chaff and grain for his butcher's shop carthorses. Stables were also built adjoining the present building. In the later twentieth century the building was mainly used as a handy storage area for Dunn's General Store next door.