News & Projects

Our current projects
 
 

History

A brief history lesson

 

Named by the government of the day, after the Acting Governor Colonel Francis Hamley, whose wife laid the foundation stone of the River Light Railway Bridge on July 25th, 1868. Other settlements in the area had commenced in the early 1860s, and it was not until 1868 that the junction of the two rivers came under notice as a possible site for a township.

 

The northern railway was extended from Roseworthy to Tarlee during 1868 and a bridge, said to be the highest in the state, was built over the River Light. A railway station was established a few hundred metres north of it in 1880 and was at first know as Alma Railway Station. The stone building, occupied as a private residence today, represents the fine architecture of the era as do many other prominent buildings in the town; especially the Catholic Church which is one of the finest examples in the state made from local stone.

 

Hamley Bridge is a riot of lilac blooms from late November and through December from the Jacaranda trees that have been planted along the main streets in remembrance of those who fought for their country, and makes for a beautiful walk around the town which must include the River Light which has great picnicking areas at which the local community is revegetating and improving.

read more

Services

Business & Service
 
Hamley Bridge Main Street

 

We provide a range of services and business opportunities to the public. read more

 

Contact

Our Contact Details
 
Janet Hughes

Lot 143 South Street, Hamley Bridge, SA 5401.

phone: (08) 8528 2332

email: janet.hughes@dfc.sa.gov.au