Aims of the Friends of the Waite Conservation Reserve
• To assist in the conservation and ecological restoration of the Waite Conservation Reserve.
• To encourage the community use and enjoyment of the Waite Conservation Reserve.
• To promote the Waite Conservation Reserve as a research and educational resource.
The Friends of Waite Conservation Reserve is an incorporated not for profit association run by volunteers with support from the University of Adelaide. Much work maintaining the Reserve is carried out by the Friends of Waite Conservation Reserve and dedicated volunteers.
JOIN the Friends of Waite Conservation Reserve. Download our membership form here
DONATE to the Friends of Waite Reserve to help the volunteers manage and improve the reserve Donation form 2020 FOWCR
About the Waite Conservation Reserve
The Waite Conservation Reserve in the Adelaide Hills face area, was dedicated for conservation and the furtherance of scientific knowledge in 1992. Today the Waite Conservation Reserve is noted as one of the largest and best surviving examples of Grey Box Grassy Woodland in South Australia. Home to more than 200 species of native plants as well as kangaroos, koalas and echidnas, it is a valuable asset of the University of Adelaide and the people of South Australia. The Reserve comprises 121 hectares, of which 110 hectares are under Heritage Agreement, protecting the native vegetation and wildlife in perpetuity.
The Waite Conservation Reserve is open to the public from dawn to dusk every day except on Fire Ban Days in the Mt Lofty Ranges fire district (CFS Hotline 1300 362361).
In October 1913 Peter Waite wrote to the Premier of South Australia, Hon. A.H. Peake and the Chancellor of the University of Adelaide, the Rt. Hon. Sir Samuel Way informing them that he intended presenting his Urrbrae property of 54 hectares to the University of Adelaide. The eastern half was to be used for scientific studies related to agriculture and the western half as a public park. In 1915 Peter Waite bought the Claremont Estate of 21 hectares and 45 hectares of the foothill part of the Netherby Estate, both of which adjoined Urrbrae, transferring their ownership to the University of Adelaide.