Facilities

Facilities

Visitors Centre

The visitors centre was built in 1986 as one of a number of projects to celebrate the 150th birthday of South Australia. Housed in the visitors centre are artefacts and displays relating to Fort Glanville and colonial defence (1836-1901) when South Australia was an independent British colony.

The visitors centre incorporates souvenir shop and refreshment areas which are open to the public on fort open days or for group visits. Public toilets are also located in the visitors centre.

Access and Ammenities

The fort Feartures onsite parking for private vehicles and coaches, full access and assistance to the disabled, barbeque picnic areas and all access toilets.

Connecting the fort to Semaphore jetty is the Semaphore and Fort Glanville Tourist Railway, a 457 mm (18.0 in) gauge steam train operated by volunteers from the National Railway Museum.

Fort Features

The fort is largely intact and in original condition and considered one the best preserved early colonial forts in Australia. It is the only Australian colonial fort to still have all of its original armament, including the largest artillery gun of its time in Australia, and the only to have a regular living history program.