The Barossa Goldfields Historical Society is a group of volunteers working to preserve the history of the Barossa Goldfields and the surrounding area.
Gold was discovered in the Barossa in 1868 by the publican of the Sandy Creek Hotel, and a total of 50,000oz were extracted during the following rush.
Our museum and other displays are situated on the corner of Goldfields Road and Allendale Road. We're a part of the Para Wirra Conservation Park and many of the trails in the park go past sites related to the gold mining history of the area.
Guided Tours for Groups and Schools are available by prior arrangement, with Damper and Billy Tea in cooler months.
We're just 15 minutes out of Gawler on the way to Williamstown....
We have a number of walking trails, each with interpretive signs and some spectacular views.
Our outside displays are always on view, and the museum is open regularly.